Troubleshooting Your Home Boiler System
Your home’s heating system—whether gas furnace, residential heating unit or boiler—is one of the hardest working systems in your home. You rely on even, warm heating from your boiler to maintain comfort throughout colder months, so it is vital to ensure that your system is functioning efficiently.
To experience peak performance from your heating system, schedule regular maintenance and any necessary repairs. Worth the investment is a furnace/boiler tune-up, which can save money on utility bills, extend the life of your boiler system, improve its efficiency, and prevent a breakdown of your boiler or furnace.
When a boiler malfunctions, the cause is not always immediately apparent, but a few diagnostics can help you troubleshoot before calling a certified Brooklyn plumber:
- For the gas-fired boiler, check the thermostat. Make sure it is set above the actual room temperature.
- Is the circulator pump running? If the pump is cool, check the breaker. If the motor is hot, the problem may be the capacitor. The motor or pump could also be frozen. If the motor is cool and the breaker is on, the thermostat or the circulator relay may be the culprit.
- If the circulator is working, check the temperature/pressure gauge. If the gauge reads low, check the vent damper to ensure it is open and the fan is running. If not, shut off the unit’s breaker, wait a couple of minutes and flip it back on. If the damper still doesn’t open or the fan doesn’t start, the problem may be the boiler control or aquastat.
- If your unit has a standing pilot light, make sure it is lit. If the pilot doesn’t light, there may be a blockage in the vent pipe.
- If the pilot light keeps going out, the most common causes are damaged seals or a faulty thermocouple. For either of these, call a professional. The assembly or sensor may be dirty, or the control may be bad.
- If the pilot stays lit, ensure that the main burners come on. If not, the gas valve or control may be bad.
No matter what issue may be impacting your boiler system, the experts at Petri Plumbing & Heating can help. For reliable installation and maintenance, contact us today at (718) 748-1254.