Staying Warm in Brooklyn: Winter Heating Tips
Fall is here in Brooklyn. With temperatures cooling down, our neighbors are understandably concerned about whether their heating systems will be working at full capacity come cold weather.
For peace of mind, if you haven’t had your heating system professionally serviced yet, do it now before it’s too late. Who wants a frigid home or costly heating bills when winter arrives in force?
Petri Plumbing & Heating, Brooklyn’s family plumber, can also offer some other tips to keep you safe and keep your heating systems and appliances in tip-top shape:
- Don’t neglect your heating system filters. Check them monthly.
- Never try to use a gas cooking stove for heating.
- If you use heating oil, check for spills around the tank and the lines that connect to the heating system.
- Inspect the heating system vent and exhaust for signs of rusting or damage.
- Winterize your home using caulk and weather-strip to seal your windows against drafts and insulating your water heater. A properly insulated house saves money in the long-run.
- If you use natural gas, install carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
- If you’re thinking of installing a gas fireplace, it’s best to call on the professionals to do so.
- Don’t forget other gas appliances like stoves and dryers. A professional technician can inspect the gas line and connections to make sure they are free of leaks.
During the inspection, our expert technicians can advise you on whether it might be time to replace your older home boiler with a newer, more energy efficient model. With older home boilers only running at 50 to 60 percent efficiency, installing a newer model can mean lower utility bills. This means you can recoup the cost within a few years.
Don’t wait until cold weather to find out whether your heating system is running at full efficiency or if your natural gas system is safe. Call the heating experts at Petri Plumbing at (718) 748-1254 today to schedule an inspection.