Stay Safe: What You Need to Know About Natural Gas
Natural gas is nothing to toy with, but Brooklyn residents can stay safe in their homes by keeping some important facts in mind.
Get Professional Help
First off, get your lines inspected regularly for safety. If you need to dig on your Brooklyn property, call 811 to make sure you avoid any natural gas lines. If you suspect any problem with your natural gas system, contact a licensed plumber immediately for help. It pays to be safe. Gas explosions kill.
Keep in mind that not all licensed professionals are equipped to do natural gas work. The state of New York is upping the requirements for anyone wishing to deal with natural gas systems starting Jan. 1, 2019. Only fully-licensed professionals will be able to install or service natural gas appliances.
Some Natural Gas Do’s and Don’ts
The use of natural gas in the home does require caution and education to prevent problems. Your neighbors at Petri Plumbing can offer some tips for staying safe:
- If you smell gas, leave your apartment or immediately and then call 911 and your natural gas provider.
- Make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy.
- Always follow instructions for using gas-powered appliances.
- Consider using our free emergency valve tagging service to properly identify any shut-off valves in your home.
- Smoke, turn appliance or lights on or off, light a match, or use a telephone inside your home if you smell gas.
- Move a gas appliance without professional help.
- Install a gas appliance without professional help.
- Heat your home with a cooking stove.
The professionals at Petri Plumbing offer natural gas services including gas pipe leak repair and installation, fixture installations, natural gas system inspections, boiler repair, water heater installation. We’re here to keep our Brooklyn neighbors safe. To schedule an inspection or to learn about our natural gas services, call us today at 718-748-1254 to learn more.