Stay Safe in Brooklyn: Things to Know about Natural Gas
The use of natural gas for heating and appliances in your home has many advantages, but it does require caution and education to prevent problems. There is an unfortunate history of fatal gas accidents in Brooklyn. That’s why it’s important to be careful. Your neighbors at Petri Plumbing can offer some tips on staying safe.
- Have a professional inspect your gas system – including lines, appliances, furnaces/boilers – on an annual basis.
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy.
- Follow instructions when using any gas-powered appliance.
- Trust your nose. If you smell gas, leave your house or apartment immediately and then call 911 and your natural gas provider.
- Ever try heating your home with a cooking stove!
- Let children play around gas stoves or ovens.
- Try installing a gas appliance without professional help.
- Move a gas appliance without professional help.
- Smoke, turn appliance or lights on or off, light a match, or use a telephone inside your home if you smell gas.
Just remember that natural gas is nothing to toy with; however, by taking some common-sense precautions and using professional gas system maintenance services, Brooklyn residents can stay safe in their homes.
Have your lines inspected regularly for safety. Call 811 before digging on your property to ensure you avoid any natural gas lines. Contact a licensed plumber immediately if there is any reason to suspect a problem. Also consider using our free emergency valve tagging service to properly identify any shut-off valves in your home.
The professionals at Petri Plumbing offer services including gas pipe leak repair and installation, fixture installations, gas system inspections, boiler repair, water heater installation. We’re here to help. If you are interested in any of our natural gas services, call us today at 718-748-1254 to learn more.