Whether you need plumbing services, electrical repair or a new heating system, we all have to allow tradesmen into our homes to maintain our comfort systems.
But having a stranger in your home can put you in a vulnerable situation which can trigger feelings of insecurity.
Your Brooklyn HVAC and plumbing experts at Petri understand how difficult it can be when you’re home alone and a repairman comes knocking at the door.
Tips to Keep You Safe
- Schedule the visit when someone can be with you. Make sure your spouse can be around or a friend can come over during your appointment.
- Secure your valuables and medication. Put these items in a safe or other secure location where they are not in the line of sight.
- Ask for identification. A reputable company will provide identification for their technicians to wear as a badge or have it readily available if they are asked to provide it.
- Use a service that contacts you ahead of time to let you know your contractor is on the way. Many home service companies now text or call you when their technician is headed to your home. Others will provide you with the name of the tech so you can be assured the person at your door is who they say they are.
- Communicate with them. You should both know exactly what the job is and what expectations you have.
- Only do business with companies with a good track record. Sometimes it may be cheaper to go with a fly-by-night organization, but this can be more expensive in the long run. If they take advantage of your vulnerability, it can cost you damages as well as the repair. Check reviews and the longevity of the business before hiring them.
Remember that technicians are people, too. They have a difficult job to do, but honest contractors are trained to understand that they should not overstep boundaries.
Petri Has Earned Your Trust
At Petri Plumbing, Heating, Cooling & Drain Cleaning, we run background checks on all our Brooklyn plumbing and HVAC technicians before they are hired. We are also committed to excellence in customer service and to the safety of our customers and our contractors. After all, we have been in business in Brooklyn since 1906 and consider our customers our friends and neighbors. Learn more about us here!
Call us today if you need help with your plumbing, heating or cooling or drain clearing services and want a contractor from the community you can trust.