2016 Hurricane Home Preparation: What you need in your home emergency kit
It’s hard to believe, but according to weather.com, we have already had 5 named tropical storms in the Atlantic this year. That leaves 10 more to go, according to their predictions which makes hurricane preparation especially important. If these tropical storms turn into hurricanes, having a hurricane home preparation kit for your Brooklyn home can help keep your family prepared in the event of devastating hurricanes or tropical storms.
We all remember Hurricane Sandy, which hit the east coast in 2012, and the swath of devastation left in its aftermath. The New York area may or may not be in for another major hurricane this year but it makes sense to be prepared.
The experts at Petri Plumbing in Brooklyn offer 24-hour emergency service, and we want to make sure you and your family are as prepared as possible in the event of a tropical storm or hurricane hitting the area this fall. Here is a list of things to have in your Hurricane Home Preparation Emergency Kit:
What To Include In Your Hurricane Preparation Kit
- Water to last 3-4 days, per person
- Canned or non-perishable food for family and pets to last 3-4 days
- Hand operated can opener and bottle opener
- Candles and matches in watertight containers
- Batteries, batteries and more batteries. Think of what necessary items will need batteries and what kind, so you will be prepared.
- Consider solar-powered items like battery chargers
- A good hand-crank weather radio (test it out beforehand)
- Flashlights, camping lanterns, glow sticks, or other similar items to provide light
- A well-stocked first aid kit
- Several whistles
- Blankets and sheeting in water-tight bags
- Extra garbage bags, tarpaulins and duct tape
Also consider packing an emergency bag with last minute items like clothing, toiletries, basic essentials, a few snacks and cash for an emergency evacuation. Have a plan for what to do with your pets in an emergency, so you are prepared ahead of time. Make sure all their tags and identification are up to date and consider implanting a chip so you can be reunited if separated during the storm.
Prepare Your Home Too
Aside from your family and pets, your home will need to be prepared as well. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) website also offers a great list of things every homeowner should check before a storm hits. Petri Plumbing is at the ready in case of any emergency situation, but being prepared always helps. Call the experts at (718) 717-1089 to schedule an appointment.