Five Ways to Help Your Home Escape Flood Damage
Petri Plumbing and Heating, Inc. suggests preventative measures for Flood Safety Preparedness Week
BROOKLYN, N.Y. – March 7, 2019 – Petri Plumbing & Heating, Inc., a family-owned business with a history of more than 100 years serving the Brooklyn and Manhattan areas, wants local residents to know how they can prevent flood damage in their homes.
“New York Flood Safety Preparedness Week is coming up next week,” said Michael Petri, owner of Petri Plumbing & Heating. “This is a great time to remind our neighbors about simple, preventative steps they can take to protect their families and their property from disaster. Water damage can be costly, so it is worth your time to avoid it if possible.”
The National Weather Service in New York State has declared March 10-16, 2019, Flood Safety Preparedness week to raise awareness of the dangers of flooding and encourage New Yorkers to protect themselves and their property.
The Petri Plumbing & Heating team suggests the following tips to prevent flood damage in your home:
- Be aware of your home’s plumbing, and be on the lookout for any signs of leaky or weakening pipes. This could include increasing water bills, rust stains, banging or noisy pipes, wet spots on walls or floor, or wet soil around the foundations. Check supply and drain lines for appliances like water heaters and washing machines, too.
- Find your valves and tag them. In case of an emergency, it’s vital that you can locate and turn off your home’s water or gas quickly. This is a free service offered by service experts like Petri.
- Get an inspection for your home’s plumbing. Most home flooding is caused by broken or burst pipes within the home. It is important to get pipes inspected annually to identify problems before they become emergencies.
- Maintain your sump pump. If your basement or crawlspace has a sump pump, inspect and maintain it to make sure it’s working well when you need it. Consider a battery backup for the sump pump as well for when severe weather also causes a power outage.
- Be proactive when you detect a problem. If plumbing issues, even small ones, aren’t addressed quickly, they can lead to larger problems like property damage or mold contamination. Call a qualified professional, and don’t procrastinate.
“I’ve seen the havoc flooding can wreak in an unprepared home,” Petri said. “If at all possible, I want to help people avoid that kind of costly and heartbreaking damage. Preparation is key to keeping your family, home and belongings safe from water damage.”
For more information about ways to prevent flood damage, please visit https://www.petriplumbing.com/ or call 718-748-1254.
About Petri Plumbing & Heating, Inc.
Petri Plumbing & Heating, Inc. is a family owned and operated business serving Brooklyn and the New York City area. Founded in 1906, the company offers a 100 percent guarantee on all services, upfront pricing, and friendly and knowledgeable Service Experts for all kinds of home and business plumbing and heating needs. Services offered include water and gas pipe leak repair and installation, fixture installations, inspections, boiler repair, water heater installation, complete bathroom, kitchen, laundry & utility room remodeling and more. Petri is also licensed and certified by Green Plumbers USA, the first in New York City to receive this designation. For more information, please visit www.petriplumbing.com or call 718-748-1254.