Five Tips to Save Energy and Money While Staying Warm
Your heat is going to run away with your money if you don’t take some basic steps to winterize your Brooklyn home.
The Brooklyn heating experts at Petri Plumbing want to share a few valuable tips to conserve energy and save money this winter. You might be surprised how effective these simple steps can be. Here are five ways to stay warm without breaking the bank:
- Ceiling fans. They aren’t just for summer cooling. Check the switch on the side of the fan to make sure it’s set to rotate counterclockwise. This will ensure your fan blows warm air downward.
- Defeat drafts. Use the smoke from a candle or incense stick to locate drafts in corners, baseboards, or around windows and doors. Use spray foam or caulk to seal the leaks and prevent cold drafts from invading your home.
- Weatherproof windows. A lot of heat escapes through window frames and a lot of cold air comes in the same way. Use temporary weather stripping to seal the perimeter of windows. You can also seal them with plastic. If you find this too unsightly, cover the windows with drapes or blinds.
- Let the sun in. Raise the blinds or open the curtains on south-facing windows. Even in winter, sunshine can deliver free warmth. Be sure to draw the curtains or close the blinds in the late afternoon or evening to thoroughly trap the heat.
- Install a programmable thermostat. This allows our Brooklyn neighbors to program their thermostats to make the heat come on at specific times of day, such as when you wake up or arrive home from work. This means you aren’t heating an empty house all day.
Take these simple steps to keep your family warmer for less money this winter. Contact Petri for more information or to schedule services. Gives us a call at (718) 748-1254 today for help. Stay warm, Brooklyn!