Five Tips to Prevent Home Flooding Disasters
Petri Plumbing & Heating of Brooklyn offers advice for Flood Safety Awareness Week
BROOKLYN, N.Y. – March 9, 2018 – Petri Plumbing and Heating, Inc., a family owned business servicing the Brooklyn area for more than 100 years, is offering residents strategies to prevent home floods ahead of New York Flood Safety Awareness Week.
“The best solution is prevention,” said Michael Petri, owner of Petri Plumbing & Heating. “We care about the families we serve and would prefer they act proactively to prevent an emergency, rather than end up with a crisis that causes expensive water damage to their homes.”
The National Weather Service in New York State has declared March 11-17, 2018, Flood Safety Awareness Week to encourage residents to educate themselves and prepare.
In honor of the upcoming week and to further help New York residents prepare, the Petri team offers the following tips to protect your home and belongings:
- Locate and tag your valves – It’s important to be able to locate and turn off a main water or gas valve quickly in case of emergency. Petri offers this as a free service, but most plumbers will find and tag these for you.
- Inspect and maintain your pipes – Most home flooding damage is caused by corroded, rusty or frozen pipes. Have your pipes inspected annually to check for problems and proper insulation. Even with spring around the corner, temperatures are still dipping below freezing and burst pipes are still a possibility.
- Look for signs of a problem – Pay attention to signs of a leak, including an increase in your water bill, banging pipes, rust stains, moisture on the walls or floor, or wet soil at the foundation. Also, search for weaknesses in supply and drain lines around toilets, water heaters and washing machines.
- Protect drain lines – Never pour grease down the drain. Plant trees away from drain lines so roots won’t damage pipes. If you live downhill or below street level, you may need a plumber to install a backflow prevention assembly to prevent sewer drainage from backing up.
- Tackle problems quickly and professionally – If you suspect a leak or other plumbing issue, don’t procrastinate repairs or have someone who isn’t qualified attempt the project. A minor inconvenience can become a major problem if it isn’t handled quickly and effectively. You risk more significant damage to floors or ceilings, as well as possible mold contamination.
“We can’t stress preparation enough,” Petri said. “Storms like last week’s Nor’easter move in quickly and can absolutely wreak havoc on an unprepared home. The time, effort and attention it takes to follow our tips are miniscule compared to the cost of recovery from a flooded home.”
About Petri Plumbing & Heating, Inc.
Petri Plumbing & Heating, Inc. is a family owned and operated business serving Brooklyn and the New York City area. Founded in 1906, the company offers a 100 percent guarantee on all services, upfront pricing, and friendly and knowledgeable Service Experts for all kinds of home and business plumbing and heating needs. Services offered include water and gas pipe leak repair and installation, fixture installations, inspections, boiler repair, water heater installation, complete bathroom, kitchen, laundry & utility room remodeling and more. Petri is also licensed and certified by Green Plumbers USA, the first in New York City to receive this designation. For more information, please visit www.petriplumbing.com or call 718-748-1254.