Garbage disposals are one of the most underrated appliances in the kitchen, but when they stop working, you realize how often you rely on them.
Keep reading to learn how to use a garbage disposal correctly as well as some dos and don’ts so you can keep your kitchen sink grinder in tiptop shape.
You can also call the plumbing experts at Petri Plumbing & Heating when you need help with your garbage disposal in Brooklyn!
Garbage Disposal DOs:
- Run a constant stream of cold water when using the disposal. Rinse thoroughly once you are done using it.
- Clean the disposal often. For weekly cleaning, simply dump some ice in the disposal and let it run until clear. You should also use a disposal cleaner often. These cleaners will not only disinfect the disposal, it will rid the disposal of any odd smells.
- Use a degreaser. Many foods have natural greases and they leech out when ground. A spoonful of a disposal degreaser will clean out the gunk and keep your appliance chopping happily.
- Use citrus as a cleanser. Grinding up lemon or orange peels not only hinders bacterial growth, they also make the kitchen smell fresh.
Garbage Disposal DON’Ts:
- Don’t place large amounts of food in the disposal at once. Chop up food into smaller pieces before disposing of it, as well. This keeps the disposal from stopping up and it keeps debris from clogging your pipes.
- Avoid overly greasy foods. Pasta, potatoes and celery have a lot of natural oils that can build up and clog your drain. It’s best to just toss these leftovers in the trash or dispose of them in a compost pile.
- Don’t run very hot water during the grinding stage. Hot water causes fats to melt. These fats then stick to the disposal blades once they cool. You can run hot water into it after it is off to clean up.
- Do not grind anything but food. Your disposal was not made to grind paper towels, rags or inedible items.
Brooklyn Garbage Disposal Help from the Experts!
Garbage disposals are convenient methods of ridding your home of food debris, but if not properly cared for, they can deposit large food items in your sink’s pipes. Grease, hair and other items can get caught on this food and clog your sink up completely, creating an even bigger problem.
Petri Plumbing & Heating is happy to help you install a new garbage disposal or repair your older one. Just reach out to our Brooklyn garbage disposal pros today!