Labor Day arrives, kids are going back to school, and the garden is looking just a little tired, the sun sets a little earlier each day and clothing ads feature wool and heavy coats. It’s time to turn our thoughts on fall chores and how we can save energy and money by implementing some quick easy strategies that will last through the coming seasons. Following are 7 energy saving tips to help you prepare your home for fall in Brooklyn before winter quickly approaches.
1. Properly preparing your home’s plumbing system for cold weather is of utmost importance. A pipe that freezes and expands to the point that causes a burst pipe can flood your home when the water inside melts. The resulting flood could cause thousands of dollars of expense. Repairing the damage is costly, but lost possessions destroyed by water damage may be irreplaceable. Your home might be temporarily uninhabitable, causing inconvenience and added expense.
2. Pipes near outside walls or in unheated areas such as your garage or crawl space are the most vulnerable. If they are not properly insulated, insulate them, or hire a plumber to do the work for you. If they are insulated, check that the insulation is winter ready.
3. Close vents in crawl spaces. Leave cabinet doors open if there are pipes behind them. The additional heat let in will prevent freezing in the pipes.
4. Shut off the water to any outside facets or spigots. Drain and remove the hose attached and store it. Make sure that the faucet or spigot does not contain any water.
5. If your hot water heater is in a garage or crawl space, consider having an insulating hot water heater cover installed to help keep the tank warm.
This is a great time to have a plumbing check up for your home to avoid any costly or embarrassing plumbing issues this holiday season. For the best pipe repair for your home, contact Petri Plumbing and Heating, Inc., your experienced and friendly Brooklyn Plumber, at 718-748-1254, today! We look forward to serving you.
We are the market leaders and want to hire people that grow with our company. We are looking for qualified, motivated technicians and pay competitively!