Combat Seasonal Allergies with Tips from Petri Plumbing & Heating, Inc.
Leading Brooklyn plumbing company gives homeowners ways to improve indoor air quality during allergy season
BROOKLYN, N.Y. — March 22, 2017 — Petri Plumbing & Heating, Inc., a leading plumbing and heating company serving Brooklyn and Manhattan since 1906, provides homeowners with tips and solutions to improve indoor air quality and relieve allergy symptoms this spring season.
Spring brings with it warmer temperatures, beautiful blooms and allergens in the air. Not everyone flings open their windows to welcome the new spring season. Nearly one in five people in the U.S. have allergy or asthma symptoms, which makes spring an extremely difficult season and indoor air quality more important than ever. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), our indoor environment is two to five times more toxic than our outdoor environment, and in some cases, the air measurements indoors have been found to be 100 times more polluted.
“When it’s spring, you want to open the windows and let that fresh air in your home. This also invites dander, pollen and other allergens into your home,” said Michael Petri, owner of Petri Plumbing & Heating. “Checking your filters and inspecting your air ducts and cooling systems is the first step to fighting seasonal allergies that start in your home.”
The experts at Petri Plumbing & Heating offer homeowners these tips to improve indoor air quality and fight off spring allergies:
- Use your air conditioner – Cooling systems actually help reduce the pollen count inside the home. Before the temperature and pollen count starts to rise, have your air conditioning unit checked by a licensed professional. They’ll make sure it and your filters are functioning properly.
- Clean weekly – One way to limit the allergens that enter a home is to clean the home’s hard surfaces (tables, counters, shelves, floors) with a damp cloth weekly. Using a vacuum with a High-efficiency particulate arresting (HEPA) filter will also help improve the home’s air quality.
- Buy indoor plants to freshen the air – Certain plants can filter out common violate organic compounds that can cause adverse health effects. In the late 1980s, NASA conducted a study with the Associated Contractors of America to determine which indoor plants were the most effective at improving indoor air quality. Some of the air-cleaning plants include Aloe plants, Spider plants, Gerber daisies, Chrysanthemums, Ficus, Azaleas and English Ivy.
- Inspect and replace air filters – Changing air filters regularly is a quick way to contribute to improving your indoor air quality. The professionals at Petri Plumbing & Heating suggest changing your filters once a month to keep air flowing well and limit allergens.
- Consider an air purification system – If you try the above tips and allergies and asthma symptoms still bother you, a whole-home air purification system can help eliminate the allergens and toxins in the home.
While you can’t control the outdoor air quality, these simple steps can help to improve your indoor air quality and keep you breathing easy this spring season.
To find out more information on Petri Plumbing & Heating, Inc., and the indoor air quality services it provides, visit www.petriplumbing.com or call Petri Plumbing at 718-748-1254.
About Petri Plumbing & Heating, Inc.
Petri Plumbing & Heating, Inc. is a family owned and operated business serving Brooklyn and the New York City area. Founded in 1906, the company offers a 100 percent guarantee on all services, upfront pricing, and friendly and knowledgeable Service Experts for all kinds of home and business plumbing and heating needs. Services offered include water and gas pipe leak repair and installation, fixture installations, inspections, boiler repair, water heater installation, complete bathroom, kitchen, laundry & utility room remodeling and more. Petri is also licensed and certified by Green Plumbers USA, the first in New York City to receive this designation. For more information, please visit www.petriplumbing.com or call 718-748-1254.