Petri Plumbing Offers Advice to Avoid Frozen Pipes
Brooklyn Plumbing Company Offers Advice To Prevent Frozen Pipes
Winter temperatures can cause adverse damage to the home and homeowners in Brooklyn and Manhattan and similar climates must realize the impact of taking preventative steps to prevent frozen pipe bursts. Petri Plumbing and Heating, Inc., a leading plumbing company serving Brooklyn since 1906, cautions New York City residents on the damage of frozen pipes and offers notable advice on how to prevent frozen pipes from bursting inside homeowners’ kitchens, bathrooms and other areas of the home.
“Though homeowners might find it a hassle to take proper precautions, taking the necessary steps to prevent your pipes from freezing cuts down the risk of a pipe burst during these cold temperatures,” said Michael Petri, owner of Petri Plumbing. “It will also save them a lot money in the long run.”
The interior areas to watch out specifically for frozen pipes are in residents’ kitchen, bathrooms and basement.
“Many times homeowners focus on the exterior parts of their home when preparing for winter,” said Chris Petri, operations and technician assistant. “While it is important to take proper precautions outside, there still needs to be a focus on the interior pipes as those can cause massive amounts of damage.”
Tips To Prevent Pipes From Bursting
Kitchen Pipe Prevention
- Keep cabinet doors under faucets open at night to allow warm air to circulate
- Consider investing in a pipe sleeve or heating tape to provide insulation
- Allow water to slightly drip from the faucet to prevent freezing
Bathroom Pipe Prevention
- Clean sink and tub drains on a regular basis to avoid hair and dirt clogging up that will prevent water from draining properly
- Leave the sink and bath faucet with a slight trickle – dripping water will keep pipes from freezing
Basement Pipe Prevention
- Seal basement as tightly as possible to keep cold air out
- Avoid using antifreeze products on pipes. They are not only ineffective, but harmful to the environment and your family’s health.
- Wrap all exposed pipes with foam insulation
If a pipe does end up freezing, it is important to locate the water valve and cut it off. Petri’s proven system for preparing homes for fierce winters has helped countless Brooklyn and Manhattan residents save on repairs and utility bills.